please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:25pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Virtual Singer
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   How to get rid of reverb?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: How to get rid of reverb?  (Read 1650 times)
butteo
Board Newbie

How to get rid of reverb?  
« on: Jan 29th, 2019, 1:43am »
Quote | Modify

Hello,
Is it possible to get rid of the reverb/echo on the Virtual Singer voices. I have tried downloading some of the voices from the "Goodies" page but they all seem to have a reverby sound added. I've tried to edit the voices but I can't see where a reverb/echo is added. Any suggestions welcome!
butteo
Board Newbie

Re: How to get rid of reverb?  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2019, 2:07am »
Quote | Modify

Just discovered from an old post that reverb is removed by deleting the little landscape picture at the start of the score! Wow, I mean really? I think I'm beginning to see why this program isn't more popular
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2019, 3:34am »
Quote | Modify

Hi butteo, normally a singer voice, or an instrument, will have NO reverb unless you add it yourself.

The reverb of a singer , (and  the reverb of standard digital instruments,) can be affected by an inserted  staff icon, which has been preset  to a particular type, length and depth of reverb by yourself (or by someone else if you use their work as a starting point.)

A singer voice, along with digital instruments, will also be affected by the score global settings ... which includes reverb, surround, and bass etc. ( open the master volume icon to see this)

If you want, you can also adjust the amount  of reverb over  the time the score plays by adding a  "curve" to the staff.
This is explained in the help file somewhere, but will explain if you desire.

The icon method is is the standard way to add effects to a particular staff and    
In your case, you may have used for your test a staff created by someone else perhaps?

I hope that clarifies.  It's just a matter of seeing the different ways reverb may be applied.

BTW, most often, I just set the master reverb , surround etc, to the amount that seems to suit the overall feel of the score.  Sometimes I try to make  one staff sound more distant by increasing relative reverb in one staff.  
But people seem to use these reverb settings in various ways

Muddle
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2019, 3:35am by muddle » offline

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
butteo
Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2019, 4:08am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for the info! The file I used was a midi one to which I added words. It just seems strange that someone else also mentioned the landscape icon regarding reverb, perhaps Melody Assistant automatically adds reverb to some staff presets? Why use a field icon for reverb? Makes no sense.
Cheers.
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2019, 10:21am »
Quote | Modify

Ah, yes.   Since midi is not the native HA format, there are settings in the Configuration menu (global detup/ midi import) that can be made for importing a midi file.  One of these is whether to  create/add   equivalent  'effects' in HA when they are in the midi file.     At least ...I think that is what could lead to the reverb icon being there.  Once you know  you could either change the configuration, or easily delete the effect after import.  Probably the  midi file creator expected some reverb ( or other effect) would suit the sound .  

Hope  all progresses well for you.

muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
butteo
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2019, 1:37am »
Quote | Modify

Once again, thanks for the info! When I checked the global set up an option to "automatically set up digital effects to improve sound quality" was ticked.

To go slightly off track, I checked out the link to your YouTube channel and was very impressed. I did notice however, that the work with Virtual Singer was from a few years back and wondered did you just decide to stop or find a better program for virtual vocals? I only use Melody Assistant because of Virtual Singer, but I think the program is a pain to use, so if you've changed to anything else out there I'd be interested to know and hear more recent work. Thanks again!
Oliveira
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2019, 1:53pm »
Quote | Modify

Modestamente, en mi espacio hay algunos ficheros donde utilizo Real Singer (en latin) combinados con Virtual Singer. Aquí, el Tenor y el Bajo son Real Singer y la Soprano y Alto son Virtual Singer. El resultado, para estudio de voces parece decente.
http://jose-a--oliveira.myriad-users.com/F392.html

Mi música: http://jose_a__oliveira.myriad-users.com/
www.atrilcoral.com /
H.A 996c.64bt V.S. Myriad HQ / PDF to Music Pro 1.7.5c / Overture 5.6.3 / Win 10/6
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2019, 11:38am »
Quote | Modify

Oliveira .. i quite liked that, thanks.

And hallo again butteo.  
 re.  your last question,  I agree it would be good to find an easier to use singing system.   No,  I haven't found such a thing.
It depends what you want, but do you know there are various VST choirs?  None  of them have the full word capability that HA does.   Not yet anyway.  
 Usually they have the main vowels with various amounts of consonant to make semi words.  Some have a very striking timbre and tend to be used for film scoring.   Would that  be goood enough for you?  
Here is a link to a demo of the latest VSTi choir .
It can make a beautiful choir sound but it doesn't seem to easily relate to a true score ( and parts) in the way HA does.  Maybe you would get used to it .   It says  it is based on Latin, but probably would  approximate  other languages phonetically  

or there's this :_

They seem 'klunky' compared with  the way  HA operates from entered words. It is amazing how well the Guilion bros. have got HA voices workng.  

BTW . About your 'Youtube' question.  
 An  "audio experimenter"',  such as me,  can save hours of arranging and writing in lyrics by using  existing well known pieces.    But it turns out that the Youtube   auto scan  will usually give you a copyright infringement notice ... it can't tell the diference between a virtual version and a real one.  There is no category for replying to you tube  that the  music is completely 'artificial', made from non- copyright material .  (The same problem can occur on other major music sites.)  

Discouraging after a time..
Of course, if you have a brilliant inspiration for an original piece and upload ... thats OK .  
So ...instead of uploading one continues  experimenting, with choirs and orchestral sounds.   Just as a hobby.   And  when something turns out well, it's very, very satisfying.   At least you really get to know and appreciate the best music.  
Oh well, good luck.
Muddle.

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2019, 3:00pm »
Quote | Modify

Totally agreed !
VS does a great job interpreting the lyrics in many different languages. It's perfect for home rehearsing when you're a choir member.  
I think VSTis are aiming at something else. They're trying to produce a nice sound that could be used in a studio. I've listened to the samples on YT but I coudn't find any with short notes and fast syllables. It makes me think of the choir stop on my digital keyboard. There are no syllables, but a sort of "ahhh" or "ohhh" and it works best with long notes and reverb.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
butteo
Board Newbie

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2019, 10:18pm »
Quote | Modify

I agree, it's the fact that VS sings lyrics rather than hums melodies that makes me return to it no matter how frustrated I get with it. I just wish it was updated occasionally so that it could be used not only for practice but for actual tracks. It's so close but not quite there, and if it could be slightly improved there would be a lot of sales for the developers. I'm available for beta testing!
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad